Saturday, February 23, 2019

A Picture of Faith

As I looked out and saw my dog contentedly sleeping at my feet I thought of how happy he is to be around us and how he depends on us to provide for him.

90 minutes earlier he arose in excitement, gleefully pouncing up and down.  He wanted two things; breakfast and a potty break.  And in that order.  He was insistent. So much so that on this Saturday morning he woke me from a dead sleep.  Deader than normal because the previous night was especially exhausting, emotionally.  But he was persistent. A picture of persistence.  He wasn’t letting up with his request until I met it.  So guess what?  He won out.  I arose and led him to the back door, gleefully hopping all the way.  He did his business then just as eagerly as he went out he came back, “breakfast dad?!” Bouncing.  Wagging.  Happy.  Anticipatory.

So, I fed him.  I gave him fresh water.  I gave him a quick pat and said ‘good boy.’

I like to provide for him.  It’s my job.  It’s my responsibility.  And once I rub the sand out of my eyes it’s also my joy.  But back to him sleeping.

As I write he’s crashed like a little baby.  (Funny because even providence brought about his name, Baby.  I thought it odd at first but it could not be more appropriate).  Between mom and dad where he feels safe.  Feels loved.  And most content.  He likes nothing more than being by our side.  Often he loves to snuggle close enough to just touch us, even lay his head to rest on a leg or a foot.

You’re probably saying, ‘Ok, I get it.  He’s a dog. You sound like you like him.  Get to the point.’  Ok, I will.

I couldn’t help but think about how I’m like him.  Totally and utterly dependent on another.  Most content, most satisfied in the presence of another.

The Lord Jesus Christ.

Like my puppy I’m most at peace when I’m near Christ. What I desire most is to be in His presence.  It’s where I feel safe.  In fact, where I am safe.  Where I’m protected.

Like my pooch I, in a sense, wake Him up (though He never slumbers nor sleeps) and beg Him to meet me, to answer my need. But get this!  He never groggily arises and meanders to the door.  No, no.  He’s like, ‘I’m here! I’ve been waiting for you to ask.  Let’s go!’

He is an ever present help in time of trouble just as much as He answers my needs exceedingly abundantly above all I can ever ask or think.  He gives peace like a river that attends my way.  Stayed upon Him I find perfect peace and rest.

He said come to me and I will give you rest.  He said I will feed you.  I will be your portion.  He said draw near to Me and I will draw near to you.  He said I will never leave you nor forsake you.

And He hasn’t.

So the little lesson the Lord showed me on my Saturday morning was a simple yet profound one.  He used the image of my contented little boy asleep at my feet to remind me of Him.  

That as my canine is completely dependent upon me so I am completely dependent upon Him.  That as my little doggy is happiest and most content when he’s closest to me I am happiest and most content when I am closest to Christ. 

God pointed me to the scriptures that flood my mind and reveal who I am and who He is.  And He said fix your eyes upon Jesus, the Author and Finisher of your faith.

Whodathunk?  You can learn a lot from a dog.

He must increase,
Kevin

1 comment: