Thursday, June 12, 2014

To see or not to see




I suppose the debate will forever leave men outlined in chalk on bloodstained concrete with angry words and insults tagged with numbers to show proof of the weapons used for the kill. So why would I add to this brutal war with my input as if what I have to say would add any weight to either side of the seesaw? I suppose its because I’ve left enough evidence at the scene that I can be found guilty of not upholding Colossians 4:6 and this is my way of explaining just a bit of what I see without having to dodge angry words and return the favor with a few of my own. My ultimate goal is that we all are cut deep by the truths of Scripture and strive to attain a unity of faith.

But we have an obstacle before us that I believe is worthy of clarity. For one man believes he is quickened by God to see, chooses to respond by faith or chooses to reject and continues along unchanged. While another man believes he is dead in sin, must be made to see and seeing has no choice but to believe. 

Now I in no way claim to exhaust the subject here but I do want to shed a little light as to why the latter man is me. And I believe there is ample evidence to support my stance.

Because I’m not the most organized man in the world, definitely haven't been sworn in by the grammar police and am not quite educated enough to impress you with big words and captivating speech, bear with me as i just jump in and start right here………
    
John  6
41 So the Jews grumbled about him, because he said, “I am the bread that came down from heaven.” They said, “Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How does he now say, ‘I have come down from heaven’?” Jesus answered them, “Do not grumble among yourselves. No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.

One thing that stands out to me is as Jesus tells the Jews He is the bread that came down from heaven, the Jews only see Him as a man. “The son of Joseph” They grumble at the fact they know Him only as the son of Joseph and are confused that He would say He comes down from heaven. They are unable to distinguish His humanity with the fact that He has come from heaven. Jesus explains the reason for their lack of understanding by explaining that “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him.”
He reveals more here……..

John 6

63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life. 
64 But there are some of you who do not believe.” (For Jesus knew from the beginning who those were who did not believe, and who it was who would betray him.) 65 And he said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.”

A clear explanation as to why they cant see. His words are spirit and life. The spirit gives life, the flesh is no help at all. With this in mind He speaks what He knew from the beginning, “There are some of you who do not believe.” He previously told them that no one can believe unless drawn by the father and here He reminds them, “This is why I told you.” “No one can come to me unless granted him by the father.”
So, we have a distinction between the uselessness of the flesh and the necessity of the Spirit, the granting and drawing of the father needed to come and a bunch of Jews who cannot even acknowledge who He is, to be able to respond by faith.

This is important to see, as these men only saw Him in their flesh therefore could not recognize Him as anything but flesh Himself, “The son of Joseph.” There is no quickening here my friends, they simply cannot see Him for who He is……… 

John 8
36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. 37 I know that you are offspring of Abraham; yet you seek to kill me because my word finds no place in you. 38 I speak of what I have seen with my Father, and you do what you have heard from your father.”

Here He proclaims His power to set men free. Notice, men must be set free, they are not free enough to choose to be set free. It is the Son who sets free. 
Lets not pass this by too quickly as the Son reveals their desire to kill Him. “My words find no place in you.” And why do they find no place? Because He speaks what He has seen with His Father but they have a different father. They do what they have heard from him…………

Matthew 16
13 Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” 14 And they said, “Some say John the Baptist, others say Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 17 And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar- Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.

This passage reveals the truth of what Jesus was saying. Flesh only sees flesh and those enlightened by the Spirit see Christ as who He is. This truth is also revealed in the answer to this question, “Who do people say that I am?” 
The answer is astounding as it reveals there has been no quickening as to who He is. The answer is still in the flesh, “John the baptist,” “Elijah,” “Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 
And another question, “But who do you say that I am?” Peter, being enlightened sees beyond flesh and professes that He is, “The Christ, the Son of the living God.”
Jesus calls Peter “Blessed.” And explains that his understanding was revealed by the Father and not by the flesh. 

The distinction is being made clearer and clearer. Some men cannot see Him for He is. There is no quickening of Spirit to allow one to choose. There is only a flesh view of Jesus or a revealing by God that He is His Son. 

John 18
The high priest then questioned Jesus about his disciples and his teaching. Jesus answered him, “I have spoken openly to the world. I have always taught in synagogues and in the temple, where all Jews come together. I have said nothing in secret. Why do you ask me? Ask those who have heard me what I said to them; they know what I said.”

I love this passage. Remember previously those who were unable to hear? Remember those who had no clue what Jesus was saying? All they could do was grumble over His words. All they could see was the son of Joseph. They had no clue as to who He is, absolutely no understanding as to Him coming down from heaven. They desired to kill Him because they could not understand what He said. There was no quickening by the Spirit to reveal a glimpse of understanding for them to respond by choosing Him. They just flat out could not see Him as anything but flesh and had absolutely no clue as to what He said. 
Well, here He is questioned about His and His disciples teaching. How does He respond? “Ask those who heard me.” “They know what I said.”

I believe the scriptures are clear. One is given eyes to see or one is blinded and only sees Him as a fleshly man. The only choice we see in scripture is the choice that God made, before the foundation of the world. (Jesus knew who would believe) God chose who would see and God chose who would be left with fleshly eyes.

Do you remember why they wanted to stone Him? Because they saw Him as a man but He claimed to be God. John 10:33

And yet, many will still try to persuade us that Jesus reveals Himself to us for a moment, and at that moment we are to choose Him. But the scriptures do not teach this. The scriptures teach us that those who reject Him never see Him for who He is and those who do see Him for who He is, follow Him.

John 12

Therefore they could not believe. For again Isaiah said,
 “He has blinded their eyes
and hardened their heart,
lest they see with their eyes,
and understand with their heart, and turn,
and I would heal them.


My friends, it is clear as can be. To see or not see, there is no other question!

Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment